Travel insurance is the protection you avail against unforeseen emergencies that might occur during your travel. It acts as standby assistance during emergencies covered in the insurance plan. Travel insurance can prove to be of great help in case of travel emergencies.
Imagine losing your passport in an unknown land where only a few people speak your language. The emergency of the passport loss is further complicated by the language barrier and can be very stressful. However, with an insurance cover, help can be tailored for you by your insurance company depending on the nature of your coverage.
However, it is not necessary that your claim will be accepted always. But what if a need arises wherein you require the claim amount?
Therefore, here are some reasons/common factors that contribute to the rejection of your travel insurance claims, whether international travel insurance or domestic.
- Late reporting: Travel insurance companies have some strict timelines within which an emergency should be reported. Some offer a 24-hour time limit while others offer 48 hours. It is advised that you report your emergency within the given time. This is because any late reporting automatically leads to claim rejection. Hence, you must always have your insurer’s contact details while travelling.
- Lack of sufficient documentation: Note that insurance companies rely on you to report emergencies immediately so that they can take the necessary action. You must have the relevant documents in place as the insurer will require proof to ascertain the exact occurrence of the emergency. Know that your insurer won’t be present where the incident has taken place and so the documents are the only proof you will have. Provide whatever proof is required and keep all the necessary documents with you while travelling.
- Pre-existing conditions: Not all general insurance companies cover pre-existing diseases. Therefore, always check this particular point with your insurer. If you get hospitalized because of any pre-existing disease, then your medical expenses won’t be covered by the insurer.
- Emergencies from personal irresponsibility: Any emergency arising due to your irresponsibility during travel is not eligible for cover. If you are caught in any illegal activities, i.e. drink and drive, and need medical attention, your claim will get rejected by your insurer.
- Understand your policy limit: You must know the sum insured that you’re eligible for. If you need the amount for medical expenses and you file a claim under loss of baggage, do not expect the sum for your medical bills. Each coverage or section has a limit in travel insurance. If you don’t want to remain underinsured, you can always purchase a plan with a higher sum insured.
- Adventure emergencies: Depending on what the emergency is and its nature, most policies do not cover emergency arising from adventurous activities as that is considered a personal responsibility. You must learn to be safe while participating in adventurous activities.
If you want to insure any elderly people in your family before they go for their trip, make sure you buy travel insurance for senior citizens, and not just a usual plan, as their needs differ from yours.
The purpose of travel insurance is to protect you from unforeseen circumstances. But to be able to avail the amount, you must know how to make a claim correctly. Understanding the points highlighted above will ensure that your insurance claim process is smooth in case of a travel emergency.